Friday, September 11, 2009

Memories

There are so many things that I could say about Sept 11th. Most of it has been said already by others, and probably said better! What I remember the most vividly is trying to get through having to work that day, getting updates on what was going on from the customers, coworkers hugging and crying, hugging regular customers, and my boss trying frantically to figure out where the tool was so we could lower the flag. Turned out it was in his car trunk. That was a rough day - and I live on the opposite side of the country! It didn't get better quickly either. We were all shook up, and the nation was in mourning. I didn't know anyone who was in the Towers, but I knew people who lost people, and I know people who should have died that day but for some reason weren't where they were supposed to be. God protected them.

To all of you who lost someone who or who were affected in any way by that tragedy, my heart goes out to you and you are in my prayers.

5 comments:

Meri Greenleaf said...

Everyone remembers where they were that day- it's crazy how vividly the memories are. I guess when something big like that happens, you remember.

I remember that I was getting ready for college- it was within the first week or two of my freshman year. I can't remember how me and my parents found out that the first plane hit- maybe we had the tv on? My uncle may have called? But I know I was watching in time to see the second one hit; that was so scary! When I got on campus (and I remember constantly looking up at the sky, scared- I wasn't all that far from NY, being outside Philly) everyone was talking about it and gathered around tvs in the lounge areas. We all talked about it for a bit in class (psychology class, I think), but classes were cancelled for the day.

It's just crazy that I remember that much when my memory is utterly crappy; I can't even remember my own anniversary, so you know it's a big thing when I can remember the little things that happened that day.

Birdwell said...

I was about five months pregnant with my son. The predominate thought on my mind (and it's never really left my mind): what sort of world will be son be born into. Certainly not that same one I was, not even remotely. I was utterly terrified.

I remember at first thinking it was a small plane that had accidentally crashed. No one knew at first what was going on: yet we found out very quickly the horrors that were before us.

I have been thinking all day what I am going to blog about today. I just don't think I have the right words for it.

Anonymous said...

Let us never forget...it IS a part of all of us in some way...

http://TuLipsTalking.blogspot.com for my 9/11 blog post.

x0 Sweets - feel better soon

Memories for Life said...

Great post Ruthie :) It is important for us all to remember!

Splendid Little Stars said...

That was such a difficult time.