Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DS9 - Season 2

As I watched Season 2 recently I couldn't help but think of how my perspective on the show has changed. I was just a kid when I watched it the first time. I remember having a crush on Bashir, really liking Jadzia, and admiring Kira. In fact, I was completely fascinated by Bajoran civiliztion and I used to pretend I was a Bajoran!

Watching it as an adult I still like Bashir, but I can't quite figure out why I had such a crush on him! At least not in the early seasons while he's so young and brash. I seem to remember him settling down a little in the later seasons...but I guess I'll see as I watch them.

I still really like Jadzia, and I think my admiration for her character has grown now that I'm watching this as an adult. It must have been hard to portray the two sides of that character, both Jadzia and Dax. I also love how they develop her character to be more of a rogue in this season!

My perspective has changed drastically on Major Kira. I still like her character, but when I was little I wanted to BE her. I wanted to be a tough fighter who didn't back down from anything. In some ways I am, but looking at Kira now I see her as being a little too much of a fighter for me to desire to emulate her any longer. I've learned to value peace and many other things that she never had time for. Oh she has her softer moments, but she is always defined by the years she spent fighting, and I am glad that I never went through the type of hell she did.

1 comment:

Nayuleska said...

I agree its interesting when you watch something a few years on, and you look at it with different eyes. Same with books too!