Monday, April 6, 2009

One Final Firecracker by Gregory Maquire

Once again I've done it - I read things out of order! It all started because I was curious about the book "Wicked" by Gegory Maquire. It had a long waiting list at the library, so I ordered a few other books from him. I really need to remember to look up bibiliography's when I'm ordering books so I don't do things like read the last book in the series! Which, of course, is what I did. "One Final Firecracker" is the last book in the Hamlet Chronicles. A series for children - I'm guessing between 3rd and 5th grade. The proper order of the series is:

Seven Spiders Spinning
Six Haunted Hairdos
Five Alien Elves
Four Stupid Cupids
Three Rotten Eggs
A Couple of April Fools
One Final Firecracker

The series is about a a group of classmates in Elementary school. I think, from reading the last book, that the series spans one or maybe two years of their grade school life. In "One Final Firecracker" the students are getting ready for their Elementary School Graduation day. Along the way a lot of crazy things happen. I don't want to give away too much about this book or the series, but there are extreme spiders, aliens, and genetic mutants! 

This is the type of book I'd let my own elementary school child read. It's a great way to get them thinking about all the wonder and silliness in the world, and a great laugh! I do not, however, recommend reading the last book first like I did, because it ties together the threads from all the rest of the books! Easy enough to follow, but kinda ruins the surprises of the first books.

2 comments:

uniquecommodities said...

I need a little laughter in my life! Thanks for sharing~

AWJ said...

"Wicked" is one of my all-time favorites-- you're going to love it once you read it!