Friday, November 6, 2009

The Princess Bride


"As you wish."

Last night I curled up on my couch with a cup of French Vanilla Coffee, my lap board with a bead weaving project, and the classic movie The Princess Bride. Now, generally, my attention is pretty divided when I'm watching things. I have a hard time sitting still and doing one thing at a time so when I'm watching tv or a movie I'm usually answering e-mail, chatting, posting to forums, weaving, knitting, crocheting, and/or who knows what else! But last night, with Jack (my lap top) out of commission I simply had my weaving as a distraction, no e-mails or forums to pull at my attention. Plus, the necklace I was working on was an extremely simple (yet beautiful) pattern so it didn't take much of my attention.

"No more rhyming now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"

The Princess Bride has been one of my favorites for years, but my first memories of it actually are those of fear. You see, I first saw the movie when I was pretty little. I was at my cousins house. My cousins are all older than me, the youngest is only 4 months older, but her brothers range up to 5 years older than we are. I know there were movies that were "Ruthie approved," but I don't think they ever actually played them. I don't think this one was on that list, at least not at that age! Most of the movie is wonderful, but the torture scenes? It left me with nightmares for years!

"He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I don't remember when I first saw the movie again as I grew older...but I do know that I fell in love with it! There are so many incredible lines in the movie, so many corny moments, so many reasons to laugh, so much adrenaline, it's so classic! No, I'm not a crazed fan. I don't know what your talking about.

"Have fun storming da castle!"

I have some bittersweet memories with this movie as well. When my Great-Grandmother slipped into a coma, and my brother had a doctors appointment that he couldn't miss, my Mom took my over to my best friend / sorta boy friend's house. We watched this movie. I took it home afterward. I watched it at least 3 times that week. We lost her that week, and I'll never forget laughing through the tears.

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Some movies, no matter how corny they are, will be favorites for ever. This is one of mine, just as I know it is for many others. What are you favorite movies?

3 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

I haven't seen that movie in a long while. But I remember liking it. Funny how sometimes you can link a movie or a book or some such to a memorable event in your life.

Anitra Cameron said...

It's been years since I saw that. You make me want to watch it again, and that's a good thing.

Very Verdant said...

I loved that movie as a teenager and my kids love the movie too. A timeless classic!