Friday, November 13, 2009

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Buy it Now!


Did you know that magic has a color? That's right! It's called "octarine" and the wizard Rincewind has always thought it looked kind of orangish-purple.

"The Colour of Magic" is the first book that Terry Pratchett wrote in his now famous Disc-world. It's not the best of his books, but if you want to start at the beginning, this is where you should go! It's broken up into four semi-independent segments; The colour of magic, the sending of eight, the lure of the wyrm, and close to the edge.

In each of the segments we follow the story of Two Flower and Rincewind as they travel around Discworld. In the first segment, the colour of magic, we meet the tourist Two Flower, the bumbling magician Rincewind, and begin to learn about how life on Discworld functions. In the second segment, the sending of eight, we learn a little bit more about the gods of Discworld, as well as the heroes. In the lure of the wyrm we see just how crazy magic can make things, and we have some fun battles with dragons! In close to the edge we learn about what life is like on the edge of discworld, and our two companions find themselves in perhaps the most dangerous fix of them all!

2 comments:

Nayuleska said...

I think I tried this, but couldn't get into it. I wanted to love it...but yes I didn't connect with the book :( TP is a brilliant writer though.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree about the Colour of Magic. I love Terry Pratchett and I love the book now - but it's not the one I'll introduce to people when I'm trying to get them hooked on Discworld. I usually try to give them a book based on their interests - invariably, I end up giving them Guards! Guards! :D Vimes is my favorite.