Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Jack Saga

As many of my friends already know, Jack, my dear laptop, has had a rough week. You see, I accidentally baptized him on Thursday. Now I believe in baptism in as Christian, but baptism for laptops...NOT a good idea!

It wasn't an intentional baptism though. I was having a rough day and I sat down too fast at my desk, slammed my knee into the leg, and over went my cup of water, right onto Jack. I grabbed it before the whole thing spilled, but it was full, so Jack still got half a cup of water all over the keyboard.

We let Jack dry out over night and then tried to turn him on. He turned on just fine, but we quickly realized that there was a short in the keyboard. We tried taking him into a repair shop, but it was going to cost an arm and a leg, way more than we can afford! So we took Jack to the Stickney men ICU and Mo and his Dad pulled him apart to figure out exactly what was going on.

It is definitely just the keyboard that's messed up, and the keyboard is terminal. We've looked to see if we can find a supplier in the US, but so far no dice. And the European suppliers want $50 to ship the keyboards here! So for now, I have a USB key board hooked up to Jack, and I'm good to go. Doesn't he look brave yet pathetic?

Yes, my desk is a total mess. Things tend to be a bit of a mess...I'm just too good at getting distracted! I try to clean up about once a week - but these last couple of weeks have been pretty hectic and I've kinda fallen behind... Once this bazaar weekend is over I plan on doing a massive overhaul of my desks :) Yes, I said desks plural. This is my work desk with my laptop and a lot of my beads, (it's a card table), I have an entire card table behind me with MORE bead stuff, tools, projects in progress, items waiting to be posted...

Ok. I'll let you go about your day and quit boring you :P

Edit: I forgot to add - the only nice thing about using a USB keyboard is that I now have a 10 key number pad again, which I've missed while having laptops for the last few years! I also get to put Jack up on top of bead box so the screen is at a better height for viewing which means that it's easier to remember to keep good posture which is good for my back!

4 comments:

Nayuleska said...

Poor Jack! At least the main parts of him is working. And you can write and use the net.

Must be the week for mishaps - I downloaded the latest version of firefox and it doesn't want to work at all. It'll open, but the screen will be blank. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice. Still the same. It's beyond my brain so I'm sticking with IE for now.

Memories for Life said...

Glad to hear Jack is going to survive!

But wait...is that another glass of water on your desk??? You need a little TV tray or end table for your drinks...LOL!

BeadedTail said...

I noticed that drink by the computer too! It's good it was only the keyboard and it seems it might have worked out for the best. I had to get the 10-key numbers pad in my laptop since CPAs can't be without their number keypads!

Splendid Little Stars said...

good ole Jack! What a trooper!
Uh-ohh. I, too, see that drink glass!