Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling


Any fan of the Harry Potter series will have heard Hermione and the others talk about Beedle the Bard and the many tales he told. Well, J.K. Rowling decided to formally record some of those for us in this cute little book, "The Tales of Beedle the Bard." It's a quick read, but a lot of fun.

Not only did I really enjoy reading the stories, which are like our fairy tales - only for wizarding children, I had a lot of fun reading the Commentary by Professor Dumbledore. Not only does it provide a lot of insight in the wizarding communities response to the stories, the footnotes to his commentary cracked me up!

Fans of the Potter series will definitely recognize the last story, "The Tale of Three brothers." I can't remember though if any of the other stories appear in the Potter series. I tend to have a sketchy memory for details. I could blame it on the large number of books I read, but I have friends who read just as many and more and they remember the stories much better than I do! So I guess I just have a poor memory for story details. That's fine with me though, because it just makes re-reading books that much better!

2 comments:

Izzy Daniels said...

Huh... sounds pretty interesting. I have just repicked up my love of reading, though usually I get too lazy ;) I still need to read the HP books (yes, I know...I'm lame) but this sounds like a good adition. thanks for the review.

ceemee said...

I was also intrigued by this book. Sounds like a fun book from your review!