Sunday, March 7, 2010

Have you Ever Done That? by Julie Larios

Pictures by Anne Hunter

"Have You Ever Done That?" is a delightful children's picture book full of fun and fantastic things that a child might do. The pictures are pastoral and the ideas are things that a child might do if they are fortunate to grow up away from the hustle and bustle of the city streets. Some of the ideas get a little fantastic, but I love her first suggestion that she also wraps up the book with, sleeping outside on a hot summer night!

Reading this book made me think of my own child hood and the hours spent out doors exploring different nooks and crannies. I was fortunate enough to grow up on a quarter acre of land, and there was plenty to foster the imagination! I remember digging forts in the dirt, running barefoot in the grass, hiding in the trees, and of course climbing everything that I could!

Spending time with my cousin gave me even more opportunities to explore the great out doors. Their land was wild, and perfect for creating fantasy lands. We'd swing on their tire swing, climb the cherry tree and spit the pits and her brothers, and race around on our bikes like little animals. I also loved their dogs, I never got to have a dog of my own, so I loved their dogs all the more!

Have you ever done that? Played wild and free in the trees? Given yourself over to childhood in utter abandon? Have you ever done that?

No comments: