Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman, Illustrated by Gris Grimly

Buy it Now!


This is a great children's book, if you don't mind exposing your children to a bit of the macabre! Since that tends to be my bent, I would show this to my kids, if I ever have any that is. Maybe not when their really young though. The best way to describe this book is to share with you the introduction:

"A piratical ghost story in thirteen ingenious but potentially disturbing rhyming couplets, originally conceived as a confection both to amuse and entertain by Mr. Neil Gaiman, scrivener, and then doodled, elaborated upon, illustrated, and beaten soundly by Mr. Gris Grimly, etcher and illuminator, featuring two brave children, their diminutive but no less courageous gazelle, and a large number of extremely dangerous trolls, monsters, bugbears, creatures, and other such nastiness, many of which have perfectly disgusting eating habits and ought not, under any circumstances, be encouraged."

It's a short book, but with the illustrations you'll find yourself staring at it for a long time!

1 comment:

AWJ said...

Gris Grimley is one of my all-time favorite artists. I should introduce my nieces to his art. :D