Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Migraine Monsters Strike Again!

It's been a rough week. We're transitioning medications and the doctor has told me I have to pick two days out of the week and those are the only days out the week I'm allowed to treat my migraine. Because if you treat your migraines too often you start to suffer from medication overs use withdrawal headaches. *sigh* So basically I have to look at my schedule each week and pick which two days are the most important to me and I don't treat my migraines unless they fall on or after those days.

This week, being my time of the month, means LOTS of migraines, so pretty much my entire week got eaten up by the silly migraine monsters! I had my bi-weekly xolair shot today and I have a filling to get tomorrow, so I've been holding out for these two days. At least it means I'm functioning today! Even if half the day did get eaten up at the doctors office...

The good news is that I'll be done tapering off the last daily medication for migraines that we tried by the middle of next week and be starting the new one. Hopefully that will mean that the "only treat twice a week" rule will be less of a problem because I'll be having fewer migraines!

I've been having a really hard time this last week not getting super frustrated about the migraines and being stuck on the couch. I mean, I'd hate it anyway, but at Christmas time? I have presents to make and this is the prime time of year for my business so I hate not being able to invest the time in it. *sigh* Oh well. Teaches me patience I guess.

4 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Oh Ruthie, that's so difficult. My heart goes out to you.

Nayuleska said...

Hugs. It's annoying when our bodies refuse to cooperate with our minds.

*glares at rebellious body*

Amanda said...

I don't know if this would help you or not, but I have had a LOT of success using oral contraceptives to suppress my period (up to 84 days) in order to prevent migraines during menstruation. Previously I would have a migraine almost every day of my period, and now - no loner.
http://real-headache-help.com/hormonal-migraines/

Liberty said...

That sounds very hard to go through.
Did it end up working (causing there to be less migraines)?

I can't take any drugs for migraines (react to all chemicals) but I've found that avoiding ALL scented products and chemicals in the house has cut the migraines way down so I mostly just get the hormonal ones now (instead of getting them all the time).
It sounds simple but it can make a huge difference. (it also had the unexpected bonus of making my asthma almost disappear).
If you ever want to try it and want tips on what products may be safer, just let me know - I'd be happy to help :)
Migraines make life hell.
My heart goes out to you!
take care
Libby