Sunday, January 25, 2009

"The Lies of Saints" by Sigmund Brouwer


"The Lies of Saints" is book three in the Nick Barrett Mystery series. I actually own the first two books, and have really enjoyed reading both of them. In fact, I've really enjoyed reading this author since I was much younger. He's actually written quite a few more children's books than he has adult books.

When I spotted this book on the shelves at the library I figured it was probably a "slam dunk." In other words, I figured it was a pretty safe bet that I would love reading it! Well, I did enjoy it, I got caught up in the suspense and found myself very curious about how it was all going to work out. However, I also found myself really disappointed. Yes, it kept me interested, but I think there were a lot of things that he didn't wrap up well or that seemed a little inconsistent to me.

The book follow Nick Barrett as he works to unravel a murder, that leads to more murders, spanning a full century! Set in South, this book is full of tradition, and convoluted clues. One thing I love about it is the characters are well developed and entertaining.

Bottom Line: Interesting - but not as well-written as it could have been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't he also write The Accidental Detectives? I think? I loved those books - I need to reread those. I might have to check out the other books he's written now that I know he's written more than Detectives series. :)