Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sovay by Celia Reese

Buy it Now!


I picked up "Sovay" after reading a review on "Nayu's Reading Corner." She writes great reviews (better than mine!) so if you love books check out her blog!

"Sovay" is a young adult book set in the time of the French Revolution. Sovay is a young woman who doesn't exactly fit into the normal role for young women as defined by society at the time. For example, when she finds out her fiance is cheating on her she confronts him by dressing up as a highway man and robbing his couch as he rides into town! This is just the first of many things she does that most young women wouldn't have done.

If you like historical fiction, and you enjoy reading about women who defy the traditional roles, than you'll really enjoy this book. I've always enjoyed reading about history, but I prefer historical fiction over a text book. I'm not big on the dry facts and details, I'd rather learn about how people lived, and how the events affected their lives.

The only problem I had with the book was I had a tendency to switch the name "Sovay" to "Savoy" in my head. Annoying, but not as if it's something that would really bother people other than me! I love being dyslexic :) The Savoy Ballroom is famous for the role it played in the evolution of swing dancing, so as a former swing dancer, it was really hard for me to keep her name straight!

3 comments:

Nayuleska said...

Aww thanks for the shout out! I was going to say 'I've read that book!' but I don't need to :)

LOL to Sovay's name change. It's something I'd do too :)

You're reviews are great too.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I DO like historical fiction! I especially like The Other Boleyn Girl. Have you read Pope Joan?
I, too, can relate to changing switching the names around.

Nayuleska said...

A heads up and semi-shameless plug - I'm finishing off a book about slavery in America, reminds me to some extent of Sovay - it'll be up within the week :) Great novel, first in a trilogy.