Friday, April 8, 2011

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce



"Alanna: The First Adventure" is book one in the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. In it we meet Alanna and her twin brother, neither of whom are satisfied with the traditional roles they are expected to fulfill. Fortunately (and sadly) their father doesn't pay much attention to them. So Alanna manages to take Thom's place to go and study to be a knight, and he is able to go work on becoming a sorcerer.

Alanna becomes Alan as she works her hardest to become a knight. I think I'm a sucker for stories like this, because while it's not an original concept, I still loved it! Alanna faces many challenges in her journey, especially because she is naturally the smallest and weakest among those in training because of her sex.

Thom may be the one studying to become a sorcerer, but Alanna also has magical ability, and her talent with healing is strong. This becomes vital when a sickness sweeps through the castle and the Prince's life is threatened! She shows her strength of personality as she manages to manipulate her way into the sick room where she does battle for his life.

While the battle for the prince's life is a significant one, it's by no means the only most major one she will fight in this book. No, at the side of the prince she is called to fight and even greater foe. One no one could imagine they'd have a chance against.

The writing in this book is a little simplistic and at a young reading level, but it's still a lot of fun to read. My elf-sister, who recommended the series to me, says that as the series goes along it becomes more "grown-up." I'm glad, because if this is the first adventure, I'm looking forward to seeing what else Alanna gets herself into!

4 comments:

AubrieAnne said...

I really like Tamora Pierce. I read her Lady Knight series and Alanna is mentioned a few times in it.

Also, a friendly reminder to get up your updates reading list in the next week or so!

ttyl!

AubrieAnne said...

the 4 1/2 month update for the bookmark break challenge goes up today.

AubrieAnne said...

Sorry for the mass comment, but this is just a friendly reminder that you only have until December 31st at 11:59PM to complete your list for the Bookmark Break Challenge 2011!!! Looking forward to the results!

AubrieAnne
http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/p/bookmark-break-challenge_18.html

Comment anywhere on my blog if you have any questions ro want to update me that way.
OR
Email me at redmatinee7007@aol.com

I will be around January 1st to get the final count on your list! So, AGAIN, Make sure it is updated by December 31St 11:59 PM.

AubrieAnne said...

Sorry I keep posting here, but I do want to make sure you don't miss out on anything! I imagine you may still be getting updates. Part of your winning the Bookmark Break Challenge is a feature on my blog. I am making questions right now and need to send them through an email address. If you are still interested, please send your email address to redmatinee7007@aol.com, or comment with it somewhere on my blog.

Thank you and I hope you are well.