Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Very Harry Potter Week


Note: There are a couple of spoilers about Harry Potter 7 – however they are at the very end of this post and there is plenty of warning so you have the option to read or not read.


I am not the most rabid of Harry Potter fans. I suspect this guy, and others like him, carry that title! I'm no where near that level, it's not even comparable. Of course, if I actually had money, I'd be a much more qualified to at least be an enthusiastic fan. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I don't own any t-shirts, only 4 of the books, and no movies. I am thinking of making myself some jewelry though… If I had more money, one of the things I would get (other than the rest of the books and the movies) is this shirt. And yes, I also like the Twilight books, but it's never made any sense to me that the vampires sparkle in the sun!

Moving on…

Like I said, I'm not a rabid fan, but my brother and I decided to spend this week been crazy fans. We spent the week re-watching all the movies! Of course, we had to borrow the movies from my dear evil twin, but we still watched them! That's a LOT of movie watching so we spread it out over three days. It's 15 hrs of movies. Granted, we possibly could have done it in one day if I had the health, or two days even, but it was nice and fun to watch them over three days. Two movies a day was perfect.
One thing that really amused us was how obvious it was that the movie producers got a budget after the first two movies! We spent most of the third movie pointing out fun things they put in and commenting, "Their enjoying having a budget!" Yes. We're weird.

The fourth day of our movie marathon was going to see the new movie! Now, we didn't see the opening show, because being up that late just isn't smart for me, but we did go and see it on Friday! I probably shouldn't have gone though. My cold got a lot worse on Thursday, and I thought I had it under control with meds when we went to the theater, but the amount of sneezing I did proved otherwise. I feel guilty for going out in public. If we hadn't pre-purchased the tickets I probably wouldn't have done it, and in retrospect, I still shouldn't have! Oh well. At least it was a relatively empty theater (yay for middle of the day movie showings!).

I really enjoyed the movie. I hear rumors that there is a scene where you can catch Hermoine whispering Harry's lines too him, but I didn't see it. Of course I could have been sneezing… Anyway, I think they did a really good job at portraying the book.

Now, and this isn't a spoiler, the book is really intense, so the movie is as well. I can see why they cut the book into two movies, but it means that you leave the first movie just feeling intense and left hanging. If you've read the book, then that's not too much of a problem, but it does feel a little odd.

The following does contain a partial spoiler – included for the information of any parents reading this post.


 


 


 

The movie is really intense. If you're questioning whether to let your child see this movie you'll want to be aware that there are fights and murders in the movie. There is also a partial nudity scene included. You can't really see anything, but it is obvious that the two involved are supposed to be naked.

1 comment:

AubrieAnne said...

Oooh! I agree with the last bit of disclaimer. I have read the books and I know how dark the last book gets. I took my two cousins with me. They are 15 and 13 so they were fine, but we saw a family roll in in front of us with two twin girls that couldn't have been more than 6 or 7. Instantly, i knew they would be crying at some point in the movie. My 15 year old cousin even leaned over to me and ask "Aren't they too young to see this movie?" The answer, in my mind, was YES!!! THEY WERE TOO YOUNG TO SEE IT! And sure enough, they screamed, cried, and even had to move into their mom's lap at one point because they were so upset.

For families that have young children, but still want to share Harry Potter with their children, keep reading them the books outloud so you can explain them, let them watch the older films and when they are a little older, they can see the Seventh movies.